Monday, March 19, 2007

I hate Windows Vista

I've finally gotten rid of it from my new computer. Formatted the harddrive and put good ol' XP on.

There's just too much wrong with it to tolerate what's right with it. Aside from the overbearing DRM complaints, there are so many little things that annoy me that just makes using Vista too unbearable. The discontinuation of support of animated GIF images in the picture previewer, the numerous flaws of the UAC that prevents actions from being performed by a non-administrator, when I actually am designated as the administrator, incompatability with programs designed for XP and earlier, graphical (3D and 2D) bugs in fullscreen games, awkward folder structuring around the desktop in windows explorer, peculiar access prevention to shared folders on my own computer, higher idle CPU usage than much older computers using XP, and so on.

And in the short time that I had Vista installed (I hadn't even activated the product key, but I also couldn't, which is a whole new post that I won't bother with here), that's just what I observed firsthand. I can't imagine how much stuff I would eventually detail to be a problem in Vista if I were to keep it. On top of that, my computer only came with Windows Vista Basic, which is a toned down version for lower speced computers that otherwise wouldn't be able to handle the Aero interface. The one thing that had been advertised for Vista as a "wow" feature in commercials was the Aero interface, which still at best is an interesting way to alt+tab through windows, and I didn't even have that to bog my system down.

The only way I can see myself going back to Vista is if they release SP1 to basically fix... everything about it. Maybe then I'll consider it a legitimate OS, but until that happens, I'm holding onto XP as long as I can.

And I'm not getting a damn Mac. That's another post as well.

No comments: