Tuesday, March 20, 2007

...what

I just noticed something at Carson's while picking up some bowls of pasta alfredo (btw, awesome). There were signs posted up around the building saying "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" with a picture of a banana. It's mild kindergarten comedy to warn people of some unknown, possibly impending danger lurking somewhere around campus, a subtle way to try to keep people weary of a campus rated to be one of the safest big campuses in the country.

It's hard to say that the posters are irresponsible or inappropriate, but it certainly feels unnecessary. I don't see the justification of warning students of a danger that may or may not be somewhere. And that's literally all it says. You might as well just put up signs randomly around sidewalks that say "Look out!" On the other hand, how many people would actually take the message seriously?

I don't have a camera, but I might be able to check one out from the dorm. Maybe that would be an interesting aspect to add to my project. I could go over the state of security in Madison and around campus. I'm sure there is info on it, but it seems like that'd be harder to find.

No comments: